Sunday, December 27, 2009

The Fleeting Moment...

Focusing:

The key, don’t rely strictly on the autofocus drive of the lens and the camera. While in most situations you will find it is perfect, many times you need to trust your eyes.

Turn Autofocus OFF!!!

Shoot like that for 1 month, not only will it give you the understanding of what you can do, you may find the results are far better than you expected. If you have bad eyesight, adjust the diopter to work for you. Or shoot with your glasses.

Put the camera in Single shot/Single Servo; let it focus without the need to rapid fire. It’s takes a split second to capture that perfect image, if all you are doing is holding down the shutter. You are not a photographer, but someone that should be shooting video.

Henri Cartier-Bresson said it best…


“Think about the photo before and after, never during. The secret is to take your time. You mustn’t go too fast. The subject must forget about you. Then, however, you must be very quick.” ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson


One of his most recognized images.

Derrière la Gare de Saint-Lazare, 1932
moment


Creatively as a photographer, you will tend to think out what may happen as you approach subject matters to shoot, you get the idea in your head what you are looking for.

I would be on assignment, watching the world open up before me through my camera, through my lens. I would know the instant I caught the photo I wanted. In my head I would think “That was it” and all the images that may have followed after that felt wasted.
I would go back to the paper to edit my images from the day and knew the exact photo; the moment I had captured was exactly what I wanted. I told the story with one image.

The following Bresson image is that same idea. The fleeting moment. That split second. When you know it is perfect and exactly what you wanted.



“…photography, for me is a supreme moment captured with a single shot.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

Henri Cartier-Bresson, FRANCE. The Var department. Hyères. 1932.
bike1


Try it, shoot manually, even if you don’t know what you are doing. You may learn something.

No comments:

Post a Comment