Sunday, December 27, 2009

Protecting your Investments

I am a Nikon shooter but have used both Canon and Nikon throughout the years. I like Nikon glass and prefer the functions in the Nikon cameras. Regardless of make and model each camera is essentially the same. They both have the same overall functions, just in different places and different icons. Choose a model you like and stick with it. Switching between the two main manufactures will not only cause you headaches but unnecessary cost in the long run. If a camera needs service expect delays, do not expect the world to be handed to you on a plate. If you threaten to switch be prepared, because at some point you will probably want to switch back. Both companies sell many, many cameras and have not only your camera or product to look at but everyone else who sent in something for repairs.


If you drop the camera, expect a cost, you dropped it. The camera didn’t jump from your hands. If the LCD screen is cracked more than likely you sat on it or placed something heavy on top. You did this, not the camera. There are of course issues that can happen, if it is legitimate, explain it, don’t yell. Why be mean, first it’s rude and second as my mom always say, you catch more flies with sugar…or something of that nature.


Digital cameras of today are not the steel encased cameras of the 60’s and 70’s. They are now computers, containing CPUs, electronic parts and chips. Treat the camera like you would you laptop, a Plasma TV or even a cell phone. If you drop it, spilled something on it, got it wet, pushed on the lens, broke the battery door, claim the responsibility and either pay to get it repaired or buy a new one.


Or you can handle your camera with greater care. We all know things can happen. Many of the newspapers I worked for didn’t pay for your equipment to get repaired. So even when I finally landed a much better gig and all the equipment was supplied and they covered any incidentals. I still to this day fall with my arms up and my camera above the ground. I will hurt myself first before I hurt my investment.


I have the bad knees and ankles to prove this.

No comments:

Post a Comment