Sunday, December 27, 2009

Entering the Photography World

Shooting for now more than 15 years as a professional photographer there are many questions I am asked.
How to set up a camera?
How to get the best images?
When should I use flash etc.




Hopefully this blog, might help a few people, provide answers, maybe not, who knows, but it gives me an opportunity and you an opportunity to ask questions, research and talk about my one true love and passion. Photography.


I’ve been shooting since I was 10 years old and had my first Kodak Instamatic Camera. It took 125 film. When I was around 15, I upgraded to a very cheap 35mm camera. (I think a free one, my parents somehow won). At some point I advanced to a Minolta 35mm camera, fully manual, it had no bells and whistles. I shot with this throughout college, it was my gem. I knew the camera, how to expose, how to time the shutter and capture the images I wanted. It was perfect. 


Upon graduation, I purchased my first “Auto” camera. But I still shot manually. Technology advanced, jobs changed, newspapers came and went. I went from a couple of small town papers, and using my own equipment, to a paper that supplied two bodies multiple lens and flashes. 


I was the newest employee with the oldest Nikon equipment they had. An Nikon F3HP and F4. Thank god for my old Minolta. The lenses they gave were the beasts, all fixed focal lengths; all f2.8; from the line Nikon created in the 70’s and 80’s. I had a 300mm f2.8, that out weighed my camera bag and a 400mm f2.8, I couldn’t use until I bought a proper monopod. These were strictly manual lenses, nothing auto about them. I got very good shooting football and other sporting events in manual focus. 


Then one day, we were handed two D1’s the first DSLR camera made by Nikon, the 80-200, the 14mm and the 28-70mm we had 10 mins to learn how to use them. I went to my roots and shot in manual mode. It was a photojournalist dream. No more guessing, no more processing of film. You shot. You uploaded. You edited. You were done. A whole new world of deadlines, time constraints developed in mere seconds, instead of mins while you waited for your film to process. 


Times quickly changed and the digital Era had begun. Many photographers fought it, but for the photojournalist it was the direction you had to go.



No comments:

Post a Comment